5 medicines you must have for a Mountain Trip
If you are a hiker, skier or an adventurer person who loves travelling mountains then you must be sometimes looking for some medicine for basic medical emergency needs then you are at the right place .
We will provide you with medication information that will help you on your mountain trips at high altitudes .
Any mountain trip you are planning , you should carry at least these basic medicine kits , but remember not to overload your bag with medicines .
The medicines we will be talking about here will basically help you to prevent the mountain sickness or high altitude pulmonary edema and basic medical emergency .
What is Mountain Sickness ?
Whenever you are travelling to high altitude mountains the oxygen level and air pressure decreases and if your body is not adjusted to that atmosphere you are going to get mountain sickness .
Mountain sickness actually occurs at the height of 8000 feet and higher .
Travelling by airways or vehicles to higher altitudes can be the cause of mountain sickness as your body is getting enough time to adjust to that atmosphere .
Symptoms of Mountain sickness
Mountain sickness can go from mild to severe Symptoms depending upon your physical condition , body adjustment to that altitude and your body sensitivity.
It can also include other factors such as medicine you are taking for other health conditions , heart or lungs diseases etc.
Symptoms of Mild Mountain sickness
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle Ache.
- Shortness of breath.
Symptoms of Severe Mountain sickness
- Lack of maintaining body balance .
- Chest pain
- Skin discolouration.
Who is at risk of getting mountain sickness ?
An Individual’s risk of getting mountain sickness increases if he or she is leaving at the sea level.
But there are also some other factors involved in these cases.
- Traveling by plane or by car to high altitude.
- Travelling to extreme heights.
- Having heart or lungs issues.
- Anemia, in this case red blood cell counts low
- Past history of mountain sickness
- Consuming certain types of medicines
How to prevent mountain sickness ?
In some cases mountain sickness can be severe and that can need emergency medical service and need to get admitted to hospital as fast as you can.
But there are some ways to prevent this mountain sickness.
- Return to lower altitude if you feel some symptoms.
- Hydrate your body properly.
- Get good sleep before moving to high altitude.
- Take time to move up so that your body gets time to adjust the environmental condition.
Medication for Mountain sickness
Whether you have any kind of health issue or not or you have any past history of mountain sickness or not, it is always safe to carry your basic medicine kit with you wherever you are travelling to any kind of high altitude places.
- Acetazolamide, better known as Diamox is the favourite drug among the mountaineers.
This drug helps in rectifying breathing problems by making you breathe deeper and faster which increases oxygen level in blood.
Unfortunately, this is not an over the counter drug so you cannot buy it online or from some chemist store .
You need a doctor’s prescription but no worries you can always consult with your doctor and explain to him your travelling conditions.
- Blood Pressure Medicine to maintain your blood pressure level because as you go up the atmospheric pressure drops down and if you have blood pressure related problems it can affect you badly.
Once again, consult your doctor and only use this medication if you have any blood pressure related issues.
- Inhalers or lung inhalers you can carry with you on your mountain trip as it is going to help you with your breathing problems. Inhalers can also be used in case of coughing or chest pain. Inhalers are used in case you need to power up your lung activity to do some hard work.
But remember inhalers come with different doses and techniques and timing of using it is different so please consult with a doctor before using it.
- Dexamethasone, better known as diodex or decadron medically, is another medication used by individuals travelling extreme heights. It helps in mountain sickness and also deals with high altitude cerebral edema ( Brain swelling ) and high altitude pulmonary edema ( non-cardiogenic issue ).
- Aspirin and Water purifying medicines
Aspirin to help you deal with fever, pain,headache.
Water purifying medicine to disinfect water and to save you from catching mountain diarrhea.
These are the five important medications that you must carry when travelling to high altitude but apart from this you are also going to need some of the general medicines that will help you if completing your journey joyfully.
- Crocine for high fever.
- Omeprazole for acidity.
- Cetirizine for sneezing due to allergy.
- Mosquito repellent to protect against insects.
- Spasmonil for some kind of abdominal cramps.
- Dom-Dt, use only when most required at high altitude.
- ORS for dehydration
Some basic things to carry
- Creep bandages.
- Antibiotic powder.
- Pain relief spray.
- Waterproof bandages.